Sunday, August 3, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Watching Little N experience the world for the first time is so much fun. The doctor the other day gave her a tootsie pop -- she thought it was a toy. She reluctantly gave it up to Steve when he asked her for it so he could show her what was under the wrapper. Her eyes lit up. She was even more surprised when she got to the middle!

Then today on our way to church we were all in the car when we realized Steve needed something in the house. He opened the garage door and N started to yell in Russian. Her eyes were so big. She was saying "Look mama, another car-- look another car" I smiled and said "Da, Mama's machina" N was so impressed and thrilled to tell Steve when he entered the car and we took off. I guess she hadn't explored the garage yet. :)

Then in church I took her out to go to the bathroom. She was fine until she saw the seat. it was black. I don't think she ever sat on a black seat before.. she started screaming, so I took her off and I sat down to show her it was okay. With a puzzled look she sat down and trusted me that it would be okay. And it was.

Her Aunt Kristen painted her toe nails yesterday and N loves it. It just makes me wonder if she's ever had her nails painted.

N is such a loving little girl with such personality. She has already made herself part of the family. There's no question she's ours and we're hers. I think if she spoke English no one would even know she lived in a children's home. She really doesn't show too many signs of being an institutionalized child. She is adopting very well and seems to understand the boundaries we set.

Just before logging on to put this post up, I had the children's site up and I was looking over the pictures... she came over and smiled really big and started to name all the kids. It's sad to know that some will never be adopted. But we gave N a home and every time I look at her -- all I can think is how lucky we are. She is a gem and a true blessing.

4 comments:

Christen L said...

How exciting and fun the little things must be!?! Can't wait to see photos. What children's site are you talking about?

Becky said...

Hi Brandie and Steve!
I love hearing all the stories, keep them coming whenever you find the time (I am sure you are very busy!) Mom showed me some of the pictures, "N" is ADORABLE! I can't wait to finally meet her and welcome you all home!

Suzanne said...

Eagerly awaiting photos. Very happy for you.

Annie said...

My children still enjoy seeing photos of their orphanages and pointing out friends and acquaintances. WHY, oh WHY is it so hard to adopt? And so expensive? How wonderful if more could find homes...