Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Introducing Boris

My husband and I have known we were going to adopt for about a year now. During this time I did lots of research on accreditation, agencies and I even became a regular visitor to many blog sites. (all have helped inspire and inform me during this process... some are listed on the side). It feels go to know that finally we are moving in this process.
Our little boy has fondly become known as "Boris". It's something I've since learned isn't uncommon for adopting families to do. Picking out a nickname for the child before you even know him is a way to start connecting with him. For the past year my family grew to understand that when they came to visit they would be staying in "Boris's" room.
At first they laughed at me. "Why are you calling him Boris? Do you know who you are getting? Is that is real name?" The answer is no. We simply picked the name Boris so we had a reference point when talking about the child and because Steve liked the name. You see, Steve is an athlete. A state champ in wrestling. And well, according to him Russians have done nicely in the Olympics... and so picked the name Boris... at least for now. (I think there might have been a champion wrestler named Boris -- somewhere) So Boris it will be on this site. (I've noticed how the child's real name is usually protected in the posts).
A few weeks ago we went to see the movie Rocky, boy am I glad that didn't come out a year ago... for all I know we could be calling our boy "Rocky"---- Don't laugh... we have a Butkus!! (a black lab)

9 comments:

Esther said...

Ah, we both like wrestlers! And we're adopting! We have much in common.....

I dated some wrestlers in highschool. Nice guys. And cute.

Met my husband as I was getting out of college. He's extremely athletic. He lettered in countless sports (or so it seems as you look at his old letterman jacket in the closet next to mine). He too was a wrestler ;o) Gotta love it.

Ani said...

Hi! found your story through another blog. I look forward to following your adoption journey.

I don't keep a blog, so a bit about me - we started our international adoption adventure in 2004, but it turns out our son was waiting for us in our own backyard!

He joined our family forever at 5 weeks, and is now, at 18 months, our love, light and joy.

Congratulations and all the best!

Cristina Warner said...

What a wonderful idea. I am visiting after finding you through another blog. I am wondering if you would not mind my adding you as a link. We are also just getting started on the process. We adopted from Russia back in 2005 and are ready to go back for more! :)

If you are interested in our blog you can visit me here:

http://miraclesdohappen-cristina.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Brandie and Steve!

I stopped in and saw your first post, then came back a couple days later to see 2 NEW posts and some neat stuff on the side! Way to go, I am quite impressed with all the updates. :) I'll keep checking back!
Love,
Becky
P.S. When are you going to call me back?!?

yorkiemom said...

Brandie - congrats on starting your blog.

It's funny you've come up with the nickname Boris. My co-workers are using the same nickname and have degraded to Boris and Natasha (of Rocky and Bullwinkle) jokes. Yep, it's a bunch of guys :)

Good luck on your process.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your blog! I look forward to learning about you and your journey to Bring Boris home! We're in the process of bringing home Bee from St. Petersburg...

Melissa said...

Our son was seen by Dr. Boris at the clinic in Moscow. How funny.

Susan&Wayne said...

HOLY COW!!! What happened to your site???? It is GORGEOUS!! I am in awe of your talents!! This looks totally cool!! Hey, my older boy was State Champ in Wrestling in Washington State, and now wrestles for Labette Community College in Kansas. Also....Boris (Bah-REESE) Russian pronunciation - will be a very fast move for you in Magadan. So I take back what I said before. Get ready to travel next month!! WooHoo!!

Anonymous said...

Hiya Pumpkin...

How cute are you guys!!!(Newlyweds!) Hope all is going well. We think about you often. Your site is just too adorable. Stop in when you get a chance!

Hugs and Kisses....
Lee and Corey