Saturday, July 28, 2007

Any Day Now for Several Months

Last night my husband and I were out to dinner with a friend. He kindly asked how the adoption was going. I replied... it could be any day now. That's when my darling husband chimed in and said "It's been any day for months now. My friends are beginning to wonder if it's ever going to happen.!" This hurt for a moment. Then I realized that from the outside looking in, it probably seems like that.

I know I should not have done this......
but I have picked out two boys from the data bank that I truly think we'll be matched with, only time will tell. If I'm not matched with either of them, then that's okay it helped me to pass the time, but how cool would it be to open the referral and see one of the little ones staring back at me!!!

Christen (blogger friend living in the Caymans) asked about our preference. Many people ask how old the baby will be when we get him. Well... he won't be a baby. We asked for a boy with an age range of 3-8.

The question people ask most is why an older boy. Well, because adoption is something I always felt called to do. And when my husband and I got married he knew this and was completely supportive. He knew nothing about adoption and asked "Are we able to choose a gender? If so can we get a boy?" How could I say no --- he was smiling and had stars in his eyes of his little boy being the best athlete in school. (I warned him that while Russia may be know for great athletes, it also is known for ballet and male ballet dancers) --(not that I wanted to burst his bubble... ) My husband is 41 years old and has coached many teams. While he will be respectful of Boris's talents and preferences -- my husband can't wait to play/watch -- tennis, football, soccer, wrestling, baseball with his son. Choosing an older boy gives him the opportunity to interact now rather than waiting for the little one to grow up.

Now if only ---- our agency could receive accreditation and we could get a referral!

12 comments:

Christen L said...

Thanks for replying :) How do you look at the database?

ps - that would be VERY cool if one of them was your referral...

yorkiemom said...

Lots of people say - don't look at the database you might get attached to a child that will never be yours, so of course as soon as my Steve and I found out we were going to a new region that's what we did :)

We actually were commenting on on how our region's pictures look like they were done by a professional photographer and there was one little boy that wasn't quite a finished as some of the others (but the picture was still much better than from other regions).

The weird thing is that this little boy ended up being our referral the next day.

Best of luck to you both and I hope you get your referrals soon!

Deb said...

I have done the same thing with the database. There is one boy on there that I really hope we are referred to. But time will tell.

I hope your agency is in the next batch (whenever that is). You shouldn't have too much of a wait with your age range.

Melissa said...

I am sure it will happen in the next couple of months for you.

Rachael said...

I think it's great that you are going to adopt an older child. If your experience is anything like mine....it will certainly be an adventure! If you ever have any questions about the "older child" experience, just email me.

Danigirl said...

Your heart is what matters most. It doesn't matter if the child is one or 10. It is all about what your heart desires and what will make you and your husband happy. My husband and I are hoping to adopt twin girls from Russia that are 16mths old. To us, they are already our children. We are waiting to recieve our court date and only hope it comes soon. www.chrisanddanica.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

You know our story, and I pray all the time that yours is just the same. I just know it is going to happen soon, and I can't wait to be there for the whole thing!!

Allison said...

We're in the same spot as you - just praying the agency gets accreditation soon. I bet you'll get a referral very quickly once that happens. And little boys are wonderful! I have so much fun with my 4.5-year-old; it's a new adventure every day.

Unknown said...

I wish you well on your adoption journey. I know that it can be along and frustrating road. But the reward, I am certain, is worth it in the end.

Christen L said...

Just checking in. Hope you are doing well.

Suz said...

I've done the same with the databank.

It was so on Viktoria's referral. There were 5 little girls that I kept looking at and I was always most drawn to Viktoria. As soon as our casemanager said the V-- sound, I KNEW it was her!

Now I've found Elizabeta. We'll see!

Sig said...

Oh man, that "any day now for months" hit me hard. We went through so many months of waiting to pick up our daughter from Guatemala, I stopped talking about the adoption, because I thought people were sick of my "any day now" and thought I was lying or crazy. Finally someone said it to me..."You have said any day now for so long, she will be in college bfore she comes home". Ouch.
(BTW she wasn't, she was 8 months old...Hmph.)

Hang in there it WILL be any day now! And remember... every day is one day closer to getting your son(s)!
Sig
www.wayhomeforana.blogspot.com