Thursday, March 15, 2007

It all works out!!

Well, this is Take Two and the documents are once again on their way to the agency. I have to say things turned out much better than I anticipated. The county gave us 6 free marriage certificates ($20 each) after hearing what happened and the Apostille Office in Harrisburg redid all 25 forms($15 per page) free of charge. So if all goes as planned and the post office reimburses us the $100 for the package that was delivered damaged then we actually make money in the deal? Go figure. Actually the parking and gas and stuff all cost about 100-- so it ends up being a wash, but hey my husband is happy!

As far as the post office goes, well that was a fun time. I ended up in line with the same guy I had on Friday. I had filled out the form ahead of time and marked YES in the insurance box. He rang everything through and said the price. I looked at him and said "no, that was what it cost last time without insurance, it was delivered damaged-- I want insurance on this these documents they are worth over $400 dollars." He laughed at me and said that's impossible. Paper is never worth that much and you can't insure paper. The look on my face told him very clearly I wasn't nearly as amused. As nice as I could, I said "These are adoption documents that cost over $400 dollars to put together to give to the Russian Gov. Would you like me to show you the receipts your government charged me to obtain them!" He said no, and referred me to the manager. That manager laughed as well and told me the only documents that can be insured are stocks and bonds. Nothing else. I said -- "Look the insurance costs what like $5 -- just give it to me and I'll deal with that when the documents are delivered damaged again." He said "Nope, I can't insure something I can't cover, you have to go to the main post office. We are just a branch."
So I went to the Main Post Office. The people there were much more helpful. They informed me that "yes, non-negotiable documents (which mine are, each document has a set value assigned to it at each office) are covered up to the $100 basic insurance, but only up to $100 in express mail. The added insurance is for product. (Okay what-ever.)
Even had I paid for the extra insurance last time the replacement coverage would not have changed. If I want full coverage and replacement value on the documents I need to send it registered mail." I said thank you, lets do that. So if these documents end up in a fire... because, they are currently waterproof, then I am covered.

3 comments:

mommyto5 said...

Oh my, what a fiasco you had to go thru, but I am so happy for you that you had all those docs sent off so quickly,woo hoo! I know you must be relieved:) Praying you hear good news soon!

Christen L said...

So glad they all got sent! :)

Esther said...

I'm so glad you have that behind you. I just hated it when my old agency LOST some of my dossier. Grrr. Clearly they turned out to be a dumb bunch of folks.